Table of Contents
I’m a physician turned software engineer with over 5 years of experience in building scalable web applications. My main area of expertise is back end services running in Kubernetes but I feel equally comfortable working on front end code or CLI tools. I’m self-taught and extremely driven, and consider programming both as a job and favorite pastime.
Since I’m a big fan of reproducible software and declarative configuration, most of my open source efforts now focus on Nix.
- Could jump in and quickly get up to speed: Haskell, Lua, Nix, Typescript
- Some familiarity: Rust, Clojure, Purescript
Senior Software Engineer
- Go guild lead: establish microservice template, extract code shared across teams into libraries, spread Go knowledge and best practices (see my AMBOSS Engineering blog posts on concurrency and prefix trees)
- Work very closely with stakeholders from medical and folks from various teams and departments in laying the foundation for a new core AMBOSS feature with GraphQL APIs, mobile & web clients, editorial backend, and lots of discovery work.
- Build processing pipelines for third-party content in Golang across multiple regions and languages
- Create GraphQL and REST APIs for delivering content to web and mobile clients
- Deploy and monitor various cron and batch jobs and servers to Kubernetes
- Maintain and build CI/CD pipelines
- Actively involved in delivering features end-to-end (from early design to post-launch monitoring and success metrics) and across different product teams
- Participate in and contribute to QA, front end, platform, and Golang guilds
- Create a small Typescript application to progressively enhance WebViews on iOS and Android devices
- Build a new single page application for our core product
- Performance analysis and monitoring of React rendering especially for older browsers
- Migrate features from a legacy application
- Collaborate closely with designers and product managers to leverage the new single page application to improve our core features
Junior Frontend Engineer
- Introduce React components to legacy code
US Expansion Editorial Co-Lead
- Hire and integrate a completely new team of full- and part-time medical editors working both remote and onsite
- Invent new workflows for creating medical content
- Market Analysis and project management
- Develop didactic concepts tailored to new user needs
Doctor of Medicine, M.D.
University of Duesseldorf | 2007 - 2014
- German: native
- English: fluent
- Japanese: extremely basic and working on it